How To Win Sales & Influence Spiders

I met a colleague at Starbucks this morning and he had a copy of “How to Win Sales & Influence Spiders” by Catherine (Cat) Seda with him.

Check it out over there —->

Considering I was recently bantering with her on another blog a few days ago about the differences between SEO and “Web Marketing”, I had to grab it for a few hours. I’m glad he had a laptop to keep him busy while I fed on this book.

I admit I was prepared to tear it up and deconstruct it point by point.

But I’m not – I shouldn’t. It’s actually a good Internet marketing book.

The book is obviously geared to non-technicals, lacking the code examples and data people like myself salivate over. Remembering the focus of her book put me into a fair reading perspective.

While reading it I assumed the role of a newbie SEO or startup business that needs to learn about online promotion, and this book fits that need.

Lacking the detail that would make SEOs raise an eyebrow and think twice, I was let down, and I should be – it wasn’t written for me.

The book is a great place for anyone wanting to learn the terminology used in the arena and give new SEOs and marketers alike the courage to take the leap and see that success is possible.

Following her suggestions a new company or promoter CAN increase their presence online. I think that was the goal, not to compliment a coders text book.

Congratulations Cat, in my opinion your book is a better value than even some of the “Dummies” books out there.

Yea yea, I’m a hard-axx here at times, but credit due when it’s earned. Good job.

12 Responses to “How To Win Sales & Influence Spiders”

1. Cat Seda April 2, 2007 at 7:55 pm #

Whew. Glad I escaped a virtual lashing, Knox. You’re right, my audience for this book is mainly Internet newbies. Thanks for keeping that in mind.

Ya know, someone needs to write an advanced SEO book for techies. Any takers?

2. Knox April 2, 2007 at 8:13 pm #

Hi Cat,

No lashing earned. You can see we have very different styles, but you wouldn’t want to dress like me either:)

Hey, that book cover of yours is really cool, the pictures don’t convey that. Ok, not really relevant to the content, but the book, in all aspects did surprise me.

Book, It’s actually in the works…

Good luck, drop in when you release more, and thanks for being a good sport too!

K

3. Cat Seda April 2, 2007 at 8:54 pm #

Book cover: Yes, that’s a fun element you need to see in print. Hey, is the web white or green? It should be white. The first few hundred copies were accidentally printed with a bright green web. So, if you got a green one, it’s a “Collector’s Edition.”

Advanced SEO book: Excellent!

Dressing like you: Do like purple fuzzy purses too? GREAT! 🙂

4. Knox April 2, 2007 at 8:59 pm #

Cool – it wasn’t mine, but one you sent to Steve Mertz. The cover is white with a raised spider web and it has a glowing green to it,(i should’ve taken it to the dark to see if it glows…)

It’s even signed by YOU, so it’s a double collectors item. I’ll have to steal it when I see him there again.

Purses, no. But slippers – maybe 😀

5. Steve Mertz April 2, 2007 at 9:10 pm #

I have the “Collector’s Edition”, with Cat’s autograph-and no, you can’t have it. Might be able to find you a nice purse though !

6. Knox April 4, 2007 at 9:07 pm #

I hope you don’t have one in reserve, Steve 😆

7. pat April 5, 2007 at 11:28 pm #

Knox, you AT LEAST owe it to her to PURCHASE a copy!

8. Knox April 5, 2007 at 11:42 pm #

I know I know… Hey, I give it a thumbs up, doesn’t that count?

9. James Boyer June 7, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

I really wish I had time to read such great sounding books, I have a book on Realty Blogging that can’t be more than 100 pages long and I still have not gotten past page 60 and it seems like a good book.

10. KC August 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm #

I work for a small IT company and was recently handed the reigns to our Adwords campaign (currently in its infancy stage… more like a little zygote of a campaign). I can’t remember how I found this blog, but so far it has provided some useful guidance regarding where to start (I admit, most of this technical stuff goes right over my head) and what other resources are available around the net for those of us with little to no experience. I bought the book used, and sure enough I am excited to say that my copy has the green web!

Looking forward to your next post,
    KC

11. Knox August 14, 2007 at 1:18 am #

Glad you fond some use here:)
    As far as your AdWords job, just think “long tail” –
    what I mean is this.

Consider you are selling power tools online.

DO NOT try to bid on the word ‘power tools’

Do this:

Bid on;

‘acme power drill’
    ‘acme power drill tools’
    ‘power saw accessories’
    ‘acme power drill press’
    ‘power saw circular’
    ‘acme power saw circular’

You can go “longer” than that too.

Read Cat’s book – check page 155 for a great tip that most newbies don’t understand, it will save you a ton.

Check some blogs that are devoted to this more than this one too:

Good luck, chime in any time.

k

12. Knox August 14, 2007 at 1:21 am #

Oh, KC,

Be sure to make each ad land on the most appropriate page, don’t throw them all to your home page. And you can have MANY ads, not just a few.